Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunar Eclipse

Last night we both had the night off from our constant and various obligations which gave us the chance to observe a lunar eclipse. It was the first time I've ever seen one. I wish I could have taken a couple of pictures but our camera wasn't with us. I never realized, although I think I knew in the back of my mind that the moon shines so bright because of a reflection of the sun. When the earth is exactly between the sun and the moon, that is what gives us a lunar eclipse. The earth casts a shadow over the moon and makes it look hazy and very dim.

We called Jake's dad to ask him a couple of questions about it. (He is very keen on his astrology.) We asked how many regions of the earth saw this...He said that only 2% of the earth's surface saw a complete lunar eclipse and we were part of that! Hopefully some of you others got to experience some of it too.

Might I add that it was extra special in that it was a completely clear night last night. Which as some of you know that is a special gift at this time of year in WA.

After the lunar eclipse we went to the church for one of Jake's basketball games. I love watching him play ball, he really is good.

4 comments:

Laura said...

We watched it too. I tried to take a couple of pictures but they didn't work so well. It was cool though. It's the first lunar eclipse I've seen. I've seen a solar one before and I think there's meant to be one this August so that'll be cool.

We're putting our stuff in storage and hopefully we'll get a UV apartment in Fall. We're almost done here! WOO WOO!

Laura said...

PS. Wee Goober looks a lot like you!

Powell Family said...

The eclips was really cool. I caught a few pictures if you wanted to check them out they're on our blog. www.brandonheatherfamily.blogspot.com

The Riries said...

Rachel! It's Kathryn Ririe! I stumbled across your blog and was so excited! Let's be blog buddies! Ours is www.theriries.blogspot.com.