Wednesday, November 18, 2009

High Road

Today something (bad) happened that I still can't find words for. I sat down earlier to write this big post spilling my feelings and it turned into ranting. I tried so carefully to piece my words together to sound "more mature" about the whole thing and although I'm still ticked to no end, I've summer donna'd a little (look it up, funny stuff).... and as I read and reread what I tried to write, I've decided to just not post it.

I would like to say however that there are very few times in my life when I've been so BLOWN away by behavior in adults that I am just beside myself. I always want to be an adult of integrity and strength. One who is honest and selfless. Not only because it is the right way to be but because the Lord has entrusted me with two very choice little boys and I know that they watch my every move. Cooper tries to shave his legs in the shower with a lego for crying out loud. If I am the parent who watches my boys play sports from the sidelines and I holler at the ref and complain to coaches about playing time and scream and yell during games, my kids will be that way too. If I talk behind peoples backs and play nice to their face, my kids will do that too. If I cheat or lie a little here and there, even if it's in good interest for the other person, my kids will think cheating and lying is ok. There is no gray area for kids. There is no sugar coating or watering it down. Give it to them straight, and be a good example.

I'm afraid if I keep going I will say too much and regret it later. I will however close this up with the very well known and oh-so-true quote that, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." Not far at all....

**disclaimer-- Hubster just read this and said everyone's gonna think I'm mad at him. It has nothing to do with anyone in my family! fyi.

6 comments:

Misty said...

It was totally Jake! =) I hope things are okay and I totally agree. Tyler tries to shave his legs too - it cracks me up. He also tries to shave his face though when he finds Phil's electric razor!

Megan & Brandon said...

Rachel, You are a better person than I could ever be. I recently took the low road with a conversation that I had with my sister and I now regret it. Not because the things that I said were untrue but because I said something to be vindictive and return the wrong that I had felt. The Lord was definitely disappointed and I have thought about it everyday even though I apologized. My sister didn't accept the apology and that is on her but I definitely feel like I am less of a person because of it. I am glad that you took the high road... thats why Heavenly Father has blessed you with two handsome young men to raise in the Latter Days. He needs strong women and you are one of them..... I want to be like you when I grow up :)

Tiffani said...

This is crazy because I just posted that same quote on my blog (the apple one). Great minds think alike!

It's so true that our kids watch our EVERY move. It's a little overwhelming at times. I'm so impressed that you held your cool. What a good momma you are.

But I have to say that my curiosity has TOTALLY been peaked. I want the deets. :)

Laura said...

What's all this about then?

Matt 'n' Lisa said...

Amen sister!

Misty said...

Oh, and i agree with tiffani - i want the skinny - but then that makes me party to gossip? oh well! =)